Intrigued by 3D printing, but don’t know where to start?
Join MadLab for this 3-hour workshop covering all the basics you’ll need to get going. You’ll get a chance to get hands-on with 3D printing and design, including designing a 3D model, preparing a 3D file for printing, and watching a live demonstration of a 3D print being created on the Ultimaker 3. We’ll then print your designs after the workshop and send them to you.
Who is this course for?
This course is suitable for all abilities. We welcome beginners with no previous experience of 3D printing.
What will you learn?
- Introduction to 3D printing technologies, and types of printers (Consumer and Pro)
- Learn more about what 3D printers are used for – both in industry and for fun!
- Understand different materials and their properties
- Get best practice design tips and techniques for the Ultimaker 3
- Hands-on Introduction to 3D-modeling software with Tinkercad
- Uploading and 3D-printing your design; Introduction to Curaslicing software
- A demonstration of a 3D print coming to life on the Ultimaker 3
- Overview of 3D-design and modelling, including some 3D design software alternatives (both free and paid, e.g. Pro: Autodesk Fusion 360, AutoCAD / Free: Sketchup, OpenSCAD, Meshmixer)
- Next steps, and where to go for more information
Equipment you’ll need
All equipment will be provided on the day, you just need to bring yourself.
MadFabLab is an open-access workshop for Manchester’s hackers, makers, and tinkerers – whether actively curious, seasoned anti-disciplinarian, or any/all points in between – providing shared tools and space to create amazing new things, play and experiment with new technology, and meet and collaborate with others.
Where is the MadFabLab?
MadFabLab is at PLANT NOMA. On arrival, just ask at the front desk if you need help finding it.
I have accessibility needs, what kind of physical access do you have?
PLANT and the MadFabLab have full accessibility. Please get in touch if you have any questions regarding the space.